Thursday 2 February 2012

WARNING: CONTAINS STRONG LANGUAGE!! Part One

Yes children, despite what your parents and elders told you, swearing is big and it is clever and when you combine swearing in music the results are almost magical! (Almost!)  There's something wonderful about hearing 'naughty' words in a song and it's even more fun to sing a long to them too!

For you delectation, I present to you some of my favourite songs with swearing in them. (in no particular order)

1. Manic Street Preachers: Yes (The Holy Bible)

A great way to kick off a very difficult album. The opening monologue is from a programme called 'Hookers, Hustlers, Pimps and their Johns' which was shown in the UK on Channel 4 sometime in the early 90's and was quite an eye-opening documentary (especially the scene where the hooker uses a cheese grater on the head of the guys cock! Nice!!!!) The casual, almost throwaway, use of 'cunts' in the opening line is brilliant and the lines "he's a boy, you want a girl so tear off his cock. Tie his her in bunches, fuck him, call him Rita if you want" is one of the bleakest lines in music I've had the pleasure to hear.


2. Foetus: Bedrock (Foetus Inc.)

I was introduced to Foetus by my friend Iain, who lent me a Foetus double album compilation and I was struck by how much they sounded like Wiseblood (whose 'Dirtdish' album I owned) until I discovered that J.G.Thirlwell was the main man in both bands!

This song has a wonderful sleazy, jazzy-style beginning before turning into an almost Broadway-style musical number replete with trumpets and imaginary chorus girls.
Only one real swear word here (unless you count 'bastard son-of-a-bitch' as swearing, and I don't!) but the way he emphasises the word 'fucker' sends chills down my spine. Enjoy!


3. Darkthrone: F.O.A.D (F.O.A.D)



When I was a young lad, Kerrang! was a really great magazine (no honest, it was) and in the back page classified ads was a small advert for a record store called Shades in Wardour Street, London. (don't look for it, it isn't there any more) They would advertise all the latest independent and imported heavy metal releases and next to the ones they liked would be this legend "Buy or f.o.a.d!" It took me a while to work out what the "a.d" meant but I had no problems working out what "f.o." meant!
Sing that chorus out loud kiddywinks and I'll see you soon for part 2.

3 comments:

  1. And you're back in the groove, Mr. LDD! AWESOME post! Can't wait until part 2...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Knotty, (may I call you Knotty?) Thanks for the support and Part 2 is up.

      Delete
  2. Hah! Yes, of course you can call me Knotty. ;)

    ReplyDelete